Thursday 18 May 2017

Old Dog, New Tricks


I don't agree that old dogs can't learn new tricks, we simply forget how much effort it takes to learn them. Ever watch a child trying to walk? Time and again they fall, keep getting up, and eventually succeed.

Kids don't know yet that they have the option to give up, so they don't. 

A few years ago my husband bought me a lovely gift: hockey skates. He was going to teach me and didn't know how to do so if there was a toe pick involved.

Back when I was very young, The Cutting Edge, was on TV a lot and became one of my favourite movies so I was excited to get out there and strut my stuff. Feeling all cool and awesome with my heat-molded special blades I placed them on the ice and immediately 'Bambi'd up.'

Unlike the adorable cartoon deer, I didn't actually splay out because hubby constantly caught me. Apparently keeping his slow-going-wife upright was nothing compared to dealing with large guys flying toward him while playing hockey.

After some practice, we were starting to see improvements but I still wasn't very good at stopping.

That's when hubby informed me it was time to fall.

I didn't want to... and that was the point.

After some gentle prodding, I did it.

I intentionally fell on my butt.

My attempts at getting up gave those around us some hilarity - finding my footing on a slippery surface was also a new skill - but, after the intended tumble, I was much more adventurous. As such, I improved at a faster rate.

Learning to skate has helped keep my writing in perspective. If I ever feel scared or hesitant, I simply remember how important it is to fall sometimes to remind myself that I will be okay, I will eventually get back up, improve, and try again.

- M

*M,  thank you for teaching me the benefits of  'failing faster' / 'failing up'. You've shown me that 'falling down' is just another healthy part of the process. - J

No comments

Post a Comment

© M&J
Maira Gall