Thursday 9 February 2017

The first step


Venturing into a new art medium can be intimidating. We aren’t sure how many of our skills (if any) are transferable or if our talent in one area might set us up for failure in another.

Where then do we turn for guidance when making these sizeable shifts?

Being primarily self-taught, my process for starting into a new discipline is simple.

I get a ‘how to’ book and allot myself time to work through it as if I were taking a course. I do the exercises outlined, I research the references and circle back through the book several times over before moving on with my education.

When I transitioned from actor to screenwriter, and then again from screenwriter to director, my first step was to buy a book and study it rigorously.

For example, M&J cannot speak highly enough of Blake Snyder’s, 'Save the Cat', as an introductory text to screenwriting. If you are on your first trek through feature-film-land, we highly suggest acquiring this book. Reading it feels akin to stumbling upon a ‘you are here’ map in the middle of a hiking trail… cue, ‘sigh of relief’.

I am presently working on my first graphic novel. A ‘how to’ book is at my side. It won’t cover everything I need to learn but it’s a start. I’ll read through it once for interest and an overall sense of the task at hand. Next, I will follow its directions, step-by-step. Then, I will read it a third time to be sure I have not missed anything before moving on.

The late, great, Glenn Frey of The Eagles once remarked about songwriting, “... so that’s how you do it? Elbow grease. Time. Thought. Persistence.”

It takes ‘elbow grease’ to stretch into new forums. Investing in an introductory book to guide our initial efforts is only the first step but I’ve found it to be a rather effective one.

- J

*J, I have highly benefited from some of the books you've brought to the table within this partnership. Thank you.  - M

3 comments

  1. I have a hard time describing my thoughts on content, but I really felt I should here. Your article is really great. I like the way you wrote this information. No need buy any subscription try this free text to speech tool and convert your text into speech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this interesting and knowledgeable article.Keep it up.It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well.This must be a popular blog. Thank you for sharing such an informative article.if you intereseting aboutletter generator so visit my profile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this informative article. I will continue to visit your blog for the latest updates. I will visit your blog regularly for the latest posts. You should take a look at this article about Benefits Of Spacebar Counter as it contains very useful information. It describes the spacebar test. This might be useful for your Spacebar Challenge.

    ReplyDelete

© M&J
Maira Gall